- Search Jobs
- Employer Directory
- Career Center
- My Tools
- Other GN Sites
Exercise can boost an employee’s performance, there is no doubt about that. That is why more companies all over the world are investing in not only office equipment but also fitness considerations.
If you are a commercial property owner, you may turn an unutilised or underutilised space in your building into a corporate fitness centre or office gym to set you apart from others. It is a fact that gyms not only add value to a residential property but also a commercial unit. Offices with gyms also attract more tenants and buyers than those that do not have.
Considerations associated with setting up a gym include the design of the room to be used, layout of the gym equipment, structural requirements and the functional amenities such as showers, changing rooms and lockers. The placement of mirrors, heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system, types of flooring and lighting are also among the important factors to be included in the architectural plan.
When developing a corporate fitness facility, make sure to have the following checklist:
• Space - Experts say the ceiling height should be at 12 feet minimum. Consult a professional who knows how to anticipate circulation based on a flow diagram.
• Financing - Create a feasible budget. Considerations for equipment, flooring, locker rooms and other essentials should be a critical part when executing a wellness programme.
• Liability - Manage potential liability issues associated with an office gym by carefully planning its design and layout, or building with quality structural steel and other durable materials.
• Equipment - Choose commercial grade equipment as it lasts longer, is safer and needs less maintenance.
Investing in a workplace wellness programme is the best way to increase productivity, and corporates know this too well.
• Do leave enough room behind treadmills to prevent injuries
• Reduce noise generated by gym equipment with sound baffles
• Choose proper flooring, lighting, HVAC system and accessories
Source: Cleofi-Krista Capili, Special to Properties
The writer is a freelancer