- Search Jobs
- Employer Directory
- Career Center
- My Tools
- Other GN Sites
Job interviews can be stressful even for those who have been through countless of them. The best way to reduce stress during a job interview is to be prepared for it. Even the smartest and most qualified job seekers need to prepare for job interviews. Find the seven golden rules to prepare yourself and to impress in your next job interview:
• Research – Do your research about the organization. That is what really impresses as does showing commercial awareness in the current climate.
• Interact intelligently – Prepare the list of questions related to the prospective employer that you would like to ask to know more about the company.
• Show competence – Employers want to see the related documents and reference letters, and hear success stories to assess your track record and predict how well you will perform. Keep a file of all the related documents required for you to present during the interview.
• Negotiate for the best – Know why you want the job and be willing to explain it not only in terms of what it will do for you but also the value you look forward to creating for the organization.
• Be honest – Have honest and authentic answers ready especially for the tough questions the interviewer might ask you. Answer with a positive approach, reassure and then move on.
• Understand before you respond – If you do not understand a question or suspect there is a concern underlying it, ask for further clarifications.
• End strongly – Do not be afraid to ask for the role if you want it and what the next steps will be, or ask them what kind of person they are looking for.
• Ask for clarifications in case you do not understand a question
• Answer all questions honestly and with a positive approach
• Prepare a list of questions that you like to ask the interviewer
Source: Jaya Bhatia, Special to Jobs & Careers
The writer is MD and Career Coach, Jobhunt HR & Management Consultancy