- Search Jobs
- Employer Directory
- Career Center
- My Tools
- Other GN Sites
The search for a better job is always on for most people. People shift jobs due to various reasons, and the decision to shift jobs can be very critical. A change of job can lead to career enhancement and have a major impact on one’s personal and professional life. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when the urge to shift jobs strikes:
• Have a clear reason for why you want a change. Often, employees let emotional reasons cloud their rationality and look for an alternate job at the slightest provocation. It is important to thoroughly evaluate the reason for seeking change. Most of the time, the reason can be as simple as the inability to get along with a colleague or boss. It is important to remember that issues like these can be easily resolved. Moreover, there is no guarantee that you will not face a similar situation in the new workplace.
• Find out if the new job will lead to career enhancement. Do not jump ship because you are desperate and want a new job as you may end up with a bigger problem.
• Many people shift jobs because they are getting a better package. While salary and other benefits are important, one should always remember that career progression is more important than money. It is also important to remember that with a higher salary come higher expectations. Do an introspection to find out if you are willing to have those additional responsibilities.
• Most people look to move out when they reach the ceiling in their current job. Before moving out, check the scope for growth in your new workplace. One should not get stifled in the new job.
• Finally, when you move out, don’t burn bridges. You’ll never know when your old colleagues will come in handy.
• Thoroughly evaluate your reason for seeking a job change
• Find out if your next job will lead to career enhancement
• Check the scope for growth in your prospective workplace
Source: C Sunil Roy, Special to Jobs & Careers
The writer is Senior Manager, Publilink